Thursday, December 6, 2012

Surviving the Holidays


Hello fabulous readers! I’m sure you were all worried that I had been kidnapped or taken hostage, but worry no more, I’m alive!! It just seems that this has been a CRAZY busy year. I am a bit shocked that is already December. There are officially less than 20 shopping days until Christmas! I hope you’re all doing better at shopping than I am. I have been a bit Grinch-y this year. It just gets overwhelming with fighting the crowds, wrapping all the gifts, attending multiple parties, cooking an obscene amount of desserts and traveling. I’m ok with the dessert and wrapping part, but the other three require me to be social and I think you all know how I feel about that! Alas, I regress; the purpose of this post is to give you all some “helpful” tips to help you all survive the holidays.

1.      There will be an unbelievable amount of unhealthy, but delicious, delicious food this holiday season. There will be cakes, cookies, fudge, cupcakes, snacks and candy available all DAY and NIGHT during the holidays. If you have been working hard over the year to get fit or to just drop a few pounds I would suggest investing in an Aqua Zinger.
An Aqua what? Stay with me here! Most people (Me included) do not drink enough water. Did you know that you should drink 3 liters (13 cups) for men and 2.2 liters (9 cups) for women?! 9 cups of water?? Holy Moly that is a lot of water. Water not only keeps you hydrated, but also helps you feel full. Sometimes we misread our body’s signal for thirst as hunger and we end up overeating. With the Aqua Zinger you have delicious water with a fruity kick to hold you over until dinnertime. I personally own this and I absolutely LOVE it. The Aqua Zinger is a water bottle with a fruit component on the bottom. You add fresh fruit to the base and screw on the bottle. The base macerates the fruit so it leaves you with delicious fruit flavor, but the filter won’t let the pulp into the water bottle. I use mine every single day. The directions say that it will fruitify 2 bottles, but I use it all day without changing the fruit and it still tastes great.
If you are not worried about your waistline, but you’d rather just enjoy the holidays and make dropping the holiday pounds a New Year’s resolution well then you’ll receive no judgment from me! To be honest, I will not be able to turn down the delectable holiday smorgasbord. I will eat more dessert in the month of December than I do all year LONG. If you’re in this boat with me you should check out my Pinterest boards for some AMAZING recipes. Last year I made the Chocolate Mousse Cheesecake, OMG it was fantastic!

2.      If you’re like me, you’ll have to attend about 37 Holiday parties. Please do not think that I don’t want to spend time with my FAVORITE people, because I totally do. What I don’t want to do is attend 35 other Holiday parties with people I don’t really know chatting about things I don’t really like. I’m awful, I know! Unfortunately, most people do not share my love for all things book related. When I tell most people that I was legitimately sad when the Harry Potter series ended and that I form (totally illogical) attachments to all the characters in my favorite books (Jace Lightwood, I’m talking to you!), they all give a confused look before turning away. If you find yourself having to attend a party that you are less than excited about, I suggest you invest in a flask. Not just ANY flask, a moustache flask.
You may be thinking, “Lenzie, you can’t get hammered at every party you are forced to attend.” And I completely agree with that, but a bit of eggnog can turn any mood around. Maybe just a few sips, plus if you’re drinking out of a moustache flask it makes it totally acceptable to be buzzed by 10:00 AM.  *If you have an Alcohol problem please do not follow this tip. I suggest you seek medical, physical, mental or whatever kind of help that you need*

3.      If you’re not a drinker there are other options to brighten any day. I know I mentioned that I am obsessed with glitter. Seriously, I think I might need an intervention. I want everything to be coated in a thin sheen of beautiful glitter. Please note that I am NOT a stripper nor have I ever worked at Hooter’s so my love for glitter is pure of heart. In fact, if you’ve ever seen me dance you’d know that I could never be a “professional dancer”. Glitter just seems to brighten any day, but if you’ve ever worked with glitter you know that it just gets everywhere. I usually spill the bottle, get it in my eye, accidently mod podge it to floor or counter or my skin. What if there was a way to contain this magical substance for single use happiness?! Well there is a way!! I stumbled across these gems on the lovely Pinterest one day and I knew that I NEEDED to have them.  
I didn’t click on the picture as I was afraid it would send me to some awful Ke$ha fan page or something. I thought that these glitter pills looked pretty easy to make. After searching for empty capsules on the internet, which I’m sure that put me on multiple DEA watch lists, I decided that it would be easiest to separate generic Benadryl capsules and fill them with glitter. You have an instant glitter pack. Perfect for tossing in the air and making you feel so much better! You can also toss them at people to make yourself doubly happy. Who doesn’t like trouncing others with glitter?! If Glitter isn’t really your thing then maybe this next tip is for you.

4.      If you’ve decided that over eating, drinking and tossing glitter will not help then maybe you should try napping.
(Cute kitten  loves napping )

       As adults, we often overlook the powers of a nap. I love to sleep, so sleeping during the day when I should be doing other things, like working, laundry, dishes or any other trivial duty, makes you feel so refreshed! A quick power nap or a Lenzie nap (1-2 hours) is Heavenly, especially after you’ve over eaten or may have a bit of an eggnog hangover. You can also use the nap excuse to maybe skip out on some holiday get togethers that you are less than happy to attend. Simply turn off your phone, or put in on silent, and lay down for a nap about 20 minutes before the party beings. That way you’ll be sound asleep during the party and with your phone being off you’ll be unable to hear the angry calls about forgetting to bring the cranberry sauce.

All silliness aside, I hope you all have a wonderful Christmas! Please enjoy the time with your loved ones. If you have any tips or tricks that help you make it thru the holidays please send them on so that we may share with the masses. Have a great week Friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment