Monday, August 1, 2011

New York City Part 3: My name is Lenzie and I’m a Speed Walker

Hi Readers! Can you believe it is August already? When I was younger I would dread this time, because who really wants to go back to school? I would apprehensively await early August when I would have to start waking up early and sleepily get dressed to head to that dreadful institution called school. College was fractionally better as you can choose your own hours and you do not have to go everyday! Please don’t get me wrong, I completely understand that school is an absolute requirement, but it doesn’t make waking up early any easier! Now that I am older and living in “the real world”, I really could care less about August! It is still ridiculously hot outside and I could really skip hearing all the kids whine about getting back into the swing of things. If I have to work everyday, they should go to school everyday! That would make me less bitter toward children! Haha

I CANNOT believe it has been a month since we left the city that never sleeps. I miss it immensely, especially since it is SO hot here! This is my last post on the big apple and it will sum up the remainder of our trip. You see, I happen to be a speed walker or as some may call it: a native New Yorker! I tend to walk fast and with purpose. I don’t lollygag or walk aimlessly. 

Look at how tired Amber & Hanna were every single day! They called me a "Slave Driver" for most of the trip! I just wanted them to keep up the pace! Haha

When we are heading toward a destination, I am going to get us there. Unfortunately for me, my trip companions are what you would call “slow as molasses walkers!” You would assume that my long legs would be the reason behind this difference, but we are all roughly the same height. I just think some people are not crazy fast walkers.

The streets of NY must not be that scary. I mean this couple stopped in the middle for a photo op! Amber & Hanna should have been at ease!

Our very first night we were all very cautious. We would not cross a crosswalk unless we had the green light and even then we would look both ways about 10 times. It was at this point that I mentioned that I wanted to get honked at by a cab. This would be a tough feat if we followed all the rules and always crossed when we had the green light. After the first night I started pushing ahead with the crowd. I was “going with the flow of traffic” or people in this case. I would cross a crosswalk when we didn’t necessarily have the green light, but it would still be clear to walk. The majority of my trip was spent with me looking backwards trying to find Hanna & Amber.



This is Hanna & Amber at the Irish Hunger Memorial. It had a winding road leading to the top. This road was not very long, but I still ended up 2 turns ahead of them. . .

I cannot tell you how many times I would be stuck on one side of the street and Hanna & Amber would be on the opposite because they had missed the light.

This was on the way home from the Top of the Rock where I even gave them an option to take a cab. They both declined stating that it was only a few blocks away from our hotel. I then informed them that I did not want to hear another word about how much their feet hurt or how tired their legs were. I had to stop about 4 times to let them catch up!

I did end up getting honked at numerous times! In fact, I felt like a native New Yorker, crossing streets and taking names, until I remembered that Hanna & Amber were 50 yards back and I had to wait for them to catch up.

I loved, loved, LOVED that city and I cannot wait to go back. I am already planning that return trip! I think late spring would be a fabulous time to go! Christmas would also be lovely with all the lights, but it will be cold there, like really cold and being from the South, I don’t really do cold temperatures!

I am also waiting for Lou to email me her address so I can send out her bitty bites from the last contest!

I hope you all have a great week followers! Stay cool outside in this gross weather! 

No comments:

Post a Comment