Tuesday, January 25, 2011

My Responsibilities on Labor Day!

Hello Again! In case you all don’t know yet, my Sister, Kenzie is going to have a baby. You can read an earlier post about Baby Carlos here. If you are confused by the title of this post please continue reading. It should all make sense in due time. I am not referring to the US National Holiday also known as Labor Day, but to the actual day that my sister will be going into labor. In fact, he should be here any day now. Hopefully not this week, so I have instructed her to cross her legs and be on bed rest. Unfortunately, she has never listened to me and doesn’t plan on beginning now. . .


Since my sister lives in Indiana and the rest of her family lives in Oklahoma we have had to try and plan when baby Carlos is welcomed into the world. This is the first baby in our family and we have had a major learning experience. At one of her recent appointments the Dr. asked what music she would prefer to have playing during all the festivities. My sister is not the most musically inclined. I am not sure she knows how to operate iTunes, much less organize a playlist. I happen to be an iTunes addict, therefore I was volunteered to create the Labor playlist.


I immediately accepted this challenge and address my concerns about what would be appropriate for baby Carlos to be exposed to upon entering the world! Obviously I would immediately veto any hard rap or techno music for the fear that he may turn out to be a “gangsta” or a “Jersey Shore” impersonator. We do NOT, and I repeat do NOT need any more of those running around! Neither of which is what I hope or expect from my nephew! Haha! I then decided that a nice mix of genres would be our best bet. I of course included country (Hello, we are from Oklahoma!), singer/songwriter, instrumental, pop, alternative, Christian, children’s songs, rock and lastly soundtrack picks (also a favorite of mine).
Here is the complete Playlist!

I want Carlos to know the music that his mom have grown up with and loved. That is how New Kids on the Block made the list (circa 1980-1990, not the new NKOTB). Carlos should know that his mother once thought she would marry Donnie and knew every word to The Right Stuff and Hanging Tough. We also may or may not have had the VHS taps of the music videos. Haha!


Country music is very dear to our hearts. Anyone who was born and raised in Oklahoma would probably agree that there is something about country music that can cure any ailment. (Side Note: I am not saying music can cure diabetes or Gout, but ailments like a broken heart or lonesomeness). Since we love country music the way we do I thought it was only appropriate to add Sugarland, Dixie Chicks, Kenny Chesney, Taylor Swift and Brad Paisley (just to name a few).


And we finally get to my favorite genre, soundtrack. It is only fit to add some Disney songs into the mix. I mean he will be a baby and what better way to portray that than “Part of Your World” from The Little Mermaid or during the long laboring process what better to perk you up than “Go The Distance” from Hercules?


must also admit that some (ok, a LOT) of the songs are on there for my own selfish reasons. How fitting will “Push It” by Salt n Pepa be in the delivery room? Haha! I also have an addiction to anything off of Glee and there are a lot of Glee songs on the list! I also think that all children should be exposed to Lady Gaga. (Side Note: Have I mentioned that I LOVE her?! April 4th can not get here soon enough! Lady Gaga with my best fran, What?!? Yay!) My love for pop music is much more than Gaga, it extends to Beyonce-Single Ladies (You can’t help but to dance when you hear this!), Katy Perry-Peacock (I just really like this song, haha), Ke$ha-Dinosaur (This song will teach him how to spell D-I-N-O-S-A-U-R, it has to be on the list) and lastly Britney Spears-Womanizer (I know most of these words, which is an accomplishment for me so it must be included.)


I have comprised 85 songs! This should be sufficient for the laboring process and if not I am sure she will just be yelling at Ryan and not really caring what is playing in the background! I am also fairly certain that there is a high probability that 1 or all of us will be kicked out of the delivery room as we rarely take anything too seriously. For example, here is Kenzie before she had pinger surgery. (Side Note: Pinger=Finger). I took her to the hospital and we were left alone for maybe 10 minutes before this all took place! I should also note that she, nor I, were on any type of anesthesia or pain medications. This is just what we do. . .
Apparently Lambchop made an appearance at the hospital. When her face was covered you couldn’t tell it was her speaking and not Lambchop. . . Or so she thought!

The hospital cap could also be used as a lovely beret.

I of course had to make a reference to Beavis & Butthead. One of our favorite cartoons. “I am Cornholio, I need TP for my bunghole! Are you Threatening me?.”


For those of you, who are not familiar with Beavis & Butthead, please enjoy! I will keep you all updated as soon as baby Carlos (Lane) arrives and whether or not we are asked to leave the delivery room. . . Have a great week readers!

1 comment:

  1. First of all, I am family and I live in Illinois.... Second of all, she still knows every word to Hangin' Tough & Right Stuff.... Third of all, we are definitely going to get kicked out of the delivery room but it will be well worth it!! P.S. LOVE YOU KENZIE bahahaha

    ReplyDelete