Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Stinkin’ Weatherford

If you read my last post, you saw that Weatherford would need its own post. Well here it is. Weatherford is a small town in far western Oklahoma. Western Oklahoma is en entity all its own. There is a line that divides the state. Look Below:
This line separates God’s country which is the Eastern portion (Khaki) and Suckville (Grey) which is the Western part of the state. You may be asking, Why would I, a native Oklahoman call part of this grand state Suckville?!? There happen to be very few trees in western Oklahoma. The land is incredibly flat. The few trees that are there are all permanently bent as the wind NEVER STOPS BLOWING. Thus we have an abundance of windmills and scenery. (Side Note: I 100% support the utilization of green energy, but I would rather not only see windmills all the time).

There is was nothing to do in the town. We had an old wal-mart. Like the ones from the 80’s that used to have the cafĂ©s, but this one didn’t even have that anymore. The literally stocked like 10 different items. The movie theatre had 2 or 3 screens the size of 2 60’ TVs. And the movies released were at least close to coming to DVD by the time they made the “big” screen. I have denoted Weatherford with a Pirate’s cross, not that any treasure was found there, except maybe tumbleweeds and abundance of wind to power the BILLIONS of windmills. See below:

Well let me explain. My husband & I got married when he found out he was accepted to pharmacy school, because you can’t go to college 4 hours away and live together without being married, right?! We would have gotten married eventually, just not when we were 20 like some small town hillbilly who happed to get knocked up! Thankfully that was so not the case! Ok that is another post. . . Pharmacy school was in Weatherford, OK. Now don’t get me wrong, Pharmacy school is tough to get into, especially this school. I had many friends who could not get into this school after multiple attempts and “donations” and finally were accepted to another pharmacy school in the state. (Side Note: I will let you deduce which college to which I am referring).

Trip to Weatherford Numero Uno:
After we knew we were getting married and moving across the state the next step was to find us a place to live. Pharmacy School is 3 years of class and 1 year of rotations. Since we planned on Jacob doing his rotations in Tulsa & the Eastern part of the state we would only need somewhere to live for 3 years. We would also be coming home during the summer so that was something we had to take into account.
My husband & his family had already made a trip to W’ford to scope out potential living quarters prior to my first visit. To my delight, husband & his family found us a place to live! Yay!! Or so I thought. My first trip to Weatherford was July 4, 2005. This happened to be 2 days after I had all 4 of my wisdom teeth cut out. (Side Note: My wisdom teeth hadn’t surfaced so they had to be chiseled out and the dentist cut my flippin’ lip! This was 1 month prior to my wedding!) Needless to say, I was in some discomfort! I was on a diet of baby food and pudding. My face looked like it was engorged! I looked like a squirrel with his cheeks full of nuts (Cue crude jr. high humor now: haha). Looking back, this may be one of the many reasons that I loathed W’ford!
I will admit right now that I am a teensy bit high maintenance in the fact that I expect to live someplace that is clean, fairly new and nice. Well folks that was not the case. Weatherford is pretty secluded and let’s just say it does not attract a lot of “big business” so the only people living there are students, teachers or local business owners. This is not a place where the rich and famous go to visit. This is where the lonely would go to die. Our new residence, the place we would spend the first 3 years of our married life was a trailer. And I am not talking a new “double-wide”, but that honestly wouldn’t have been any better (Side Note: If you are reading this and you currently live in a trailer, I am sorry. It just isn’t my style.) I am talking about a 1983 build red & khaki atrocity. (Side Note: of all the colors red is my absolute least favorite). We were born in 1984, so this puppy was even older than we were. It had 960 sq. ft. Since I tried to banish that time frame from my memory I do not have a picture, but you can get the idea from the picture below.
Just imagine red skirting, khaki everything else. And take away the trees and add like 30 more trailers. Now please pay close attention to my next statement as this is one of my keynote reasons for disliking the whole situation. Oklahoma is largely covered by what is known as Tornado Alley. Tornado Alley is a term that refers to where tornados frequent most often. Oklahoma & Kansas report more tornados per land area than ANY OTHER state. As I mentioned earlier, western Oklahoma is incredibly flat with few trees, therefore making high winds and tornados even more dangerous. Also, if you have heard any redneck joke about tornados loving trailer parks, it is true. We constantly had our survival kit packed and ready to go to the shelter at the school. Fortunately we never experienced a tornado, but we did watch them place down all around us multiple times during our 3 years. Please see the below map and remember where Weatherford is!
   


I will continue with the rest of my stories of Wonderful W’ford at a later date. Peace out Girl Scout! 

No comments:

Post a Comment